Saturday, February 11, 2012

Oh Wishing Tree





I first fell in love with Wishing Trees in 2008 
when I took my mother and my son to visit Yoko Ono's wishing trees in Pasadena. 
Beautiful potted trees were placed in the court yard of One Colorado where we were invited to write 
our wish or wishes on string threaded paper and tie them to the branches. 
There were hundreds upon hundreds of wishes hanging from the branches
 almost appearing like white blooming flowers dripping from the trees. 
Some were personal wishes... fears, desires... Some global... end child abuse, world peace and other profound wishes. 
Some of my favorites to read were from children... blessing their parents, wishing for a rocket ship or a new baby brother. 
 Another of my favorites was from a man who was about to propose to his girlfriend... 
he wished that she love him back just as much and say yes to becoming his wife. 
The love and energy in that courtyard was powerful and intoxicating and warm, 
an experience that touched me deep in my heart, that I will never forget. 
Yoko placed every single one of these wishes, 
along with the others she still continues to collect  from other wishing trees all over the world, 
in the Imagine Peace Tower off of the coast of Iceland,
 a monument to her late husband John Lennon. 
Having fallen in love with these magical trees, I am so delighted to see more and more couples
 incorporating them into their weddings as an alternative to guest books. 
Guests are asked to write a  personal message, advice or a wish for the couple and their future and then hang them from the branches.
 As the wishes add up the tree becomes a beautiful focal point in the room.
 In Pasadena I had to tear myself away from reading the wishes hanging all around me,
 I could have stayed for hours and hours. I would imagine it to be so very special for a new couple to read all of their personalized wishes from the people they love the most.  They can later save them in a scrap book or keepsake box or even leave the tree up in their house, if space permits.
 Wishing trees have been a long standing tradition in Japan, sometimes practiced at temple as a sort of collective prayer for an individual or for mankind. 
In earlier times,  people of some European countries believed that certain trees contained good spirits and that you could make a wish come true just by touching the trees. I think this is a very special tradition to add to your wedding day, as a collaborative wish and prayer for the success and joy of your marriage.




No comments:

Post a Comment