Monday, March 5, 2012

Moon River::: A Sex And The City Romance

I Heart NY
Season 4 Episode 18!!!! 
I think this just might be my favorite Sex And The City episode of all times! 
I love it so much I am inclined to blog about it.
Do you remember the I Heart NY episode?... Miranda gave birth to Brady, 
Samantha wears a ridiculous wig to stalk Richard, suspecting he is cheating on her...?
This episode is full of all the faithfully delivered laughs and touching moments that SATC gave to us... 
but this episode by far, was one of the most romantic of them all.
It showed a sad romance, a beautiful romance, an undying romance, a difficult but dashing romance between Carrie and Mr. Big. 

...Carrie asks Big if she can drop by one night, she is lonely... only to discover when she gets there, Big, in his empty apartment, containing only a bed, a record player and a box of classic records. Mr. Big is leaving New York and moving to Napa.
With all her might, Carries tries to hide her devastation, masking it with humor. 
Although at this time they haven't been together in quite sometime, Mr. Big is still such a part of her. She feels safe knowing he is in the same city, she loves him deeply in so many ways despite all they have been through.
This story line combines so many different feelings and emotions;
 love, lust, friendship, disappointment, sadness, romance... 
Even the sad moments are romantic. 
Big plays her an old record, Moon River, and they dance closly in his bare apartment, 
Carrie is so sad and disappointed. 


For me the choice of song made me love this episode all that much more. Moon River has always been one of my most favorite songs, so romantic and touching. I always wondered why I instantly loved such an old classic song at such a young age, almost as if I had known it always. Some years later it came to be said that Moon River was one of my late Nan and Grandfathers favorite songs. 
My Grandparents love was a true romance in it's own right. At the age of 14 my Nan went to meet a date at the movies, but he didn't show... she got to talking to another young man who happened to be there alone. 
Two years later at the age of 16 she married him, that young man was my grandfather... 
they loved each other dearly until the day they died. 
A little time later my Grandfather admitted that he had his eyes on her for a long time, he had heard she was going on a date with this young man from town.  Their meeting at the movies was not by chance at all... he, in-fact, waited outside the movies for the young man and paid him to leave and not go in and meet her. To me that is very romantic! :) 
So Moon River, one of the most romantic songs of all times,
 must have always been inside me because of their love... 
 An absolutely perfect song for this scene. 


 After their dance, Carrie asks big for one more date before he leaves...
 to let her take him out to give the amazing city of New York a proper goodbye.
 Anticipating their date, I was so sure Mr. Big would back out and let her down like he has so many times before. But he didn't, he was there for Carrie and gave her that closure she needed... another amazing reason I loved this episode.
They took a carriage ride through Central Park, Carrie contemplated if she should sleep with him one more time before he leaves... they kiss... but then their date is cut short by a phone call from Miranda... she was in labor! Like the prince charming he has been so many times, Big convinces the carriage driver to break the rules and take them all the way to the hospital steps. They plan to meet the next morning before he leaves but when she gets to his apartment, he has already gone. The apartment is empty... and there against the wall was his Moon River record... with a note, 
"If you ever get lonely"...
 And a plane ticket to Napa with a note, 
"If I ever get lonely"...  
With those simple words he means, do not forget me, and I will not be forgetting you. 
I can't get enough of this episode... I could watch it over and over. I love that, with all the complications of Big and Carrie's relationship over the years, this episode gave them such a magical couple of days, some of the best moments they had shared up until that time, easy conversation, respect, honesty and a love that didn't need words or sex to express it. It was just there, between them, all around them.
 If you find time, watch this episode again, or for the first time, it is truly magical...
oh and on their date, Carrie is wearing my most favorite Christian Louboutins to date...
Pink, ruffled and romantic




No comments:

Post a Comment